How to make Samsung Xpress C480W scanner working on Ubuntu Bionic

Intro


As I don't have time today, this is going to be one of the shortest posts in this blog. But I really want to save it as I've already spent a couple of hours trying to figure it out. So to make the long story short I reinstalled my laptop with Ubuntu Bionic and my Samsung Xpress C480W scanner stopped working. Nooooo!

Fixing the scanner


OK, so in order to make the scanner working again download and install the Samsung Unified Linux Driver:

sudo apt install libusb-0.1-4

cd /tmp

wget https://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/driver/UnifiedLinuxDriver-1.00.39.tar.gz

tar -xzf UnifiedLinuxDriver-1.00.39.tar.gz

cd uld

./install.sh

Easy peasy. So what's wrong? The problem is that the installer places the module under the "/usr/lib/sane" directory while Ubuntu Bionic expects them under the "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane" directory! Sigh ... I don't know whether this is a bug or not, I basically didn't have time to check. But the problem can be easily solved by linking the module into the proper location:

sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/sane/libsane-smfp.so* /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/

I hope it helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment